CITY OF SANTA CLARA
CITY COUNCIL MEETING
February 10, 2004
In the Council Conference Room
Pursuant to Government Code Section 54957.6
Conference with Agency Labor Negotiator:
Jennifer Sparacino, City Manager, or her designee;
Unit #1 - Santa Clara Firefighters Association, IAFF, Local 1171;
Unit #2 - Santa Clara Police Officer's Association;
Unit #10 - Public Safety Non Sworn Employees Association
In the Reception Lobby Area
INTERVIEWS TO FILL TWO VACANCIES
ON THE PARK AND RECREATION COMMISSION
for terms ending June 30, 2004 and June 30, 2008
To either choose to make an appointment from the existing applicant pool
to fill a vacancy on the International Exchange Commission
for the term ending June 30, 2006
to schedule interviews and accept additional applications.
7:00 p.m. in the City Hall Council Chambers
APPEAL OF HEARING DECISIONS OF THE CITY COUNCIL MUST BE MADE TO THE SUPERIOR COURT WITHIN 90 CALENDAR DAYS OF FINAL ACTION. BECAUSE OF THE AGENDA PROVISION FOR RECONSIDERATION, FINAL ACTION IS DEEMED TO OCCUR AT THE END OF THE NEXT REGULAR MEETING. (CODE OF CIVIL PROCEDURE SECTION 1094.6)
D. Acceptance of the resignation of Andrew Chan from the International Exchange Commission and appointment to fill the vacancy or to schedule interviews and accept additional applications from the existing applicant pool to fill the vacancy.
A. Possible Reconsideration of Actions Taken at Immediately Preceding Meeting. (See the Summary of City Council Actions for potential reconsideration which is attached to the posted Agenda and is in the Agenda Packet Binder in the Council Chambers.)
B. Proposed Site Plans for 90 North Winchester Boulevard - formerly the Bay Area Research and Extension Center (BAREC): Request for Council comments.
[Items listed on the CONSENT CALENDAR are considered routine and will be adopted by one motion. There will be no separate discussion of the items on the CONSENT CALENDAR unless discussion is requested by a member of the Council, staff, or public. If so requested, that item will be removed from the CONSENT CALENDAR and considered under CONSENT ITEMS PULLED FOR DISCUSSION.]
1. Adoption of a Resolution establishing a No Stopping, Standing or Parking at Anytime zone on Avenida De Los Arboles north of Avenida De Lago.
2. Adoption of a Resolution establishing a Disabled Parking zone in front of 1530 Pomeroy Avenue.
3. Adoption of a Resolution establishing 4-Way Signs at the intersection of Nobili Avenue and Fowler Avenue.
4. Adoption of a Resolution establishing No Parking for vehicles in excess of 20 feet in length zones on the west and east sides of Thomas Road north of Laurelwood Road.
5. Adoption of a Resolution establishing No Parking from 2:00 a.m. to 5:00 a.m. zones on both sides of De Vos Court east of Flora Vista Avenue and on the east side of Flora Vista Avenue north and south of De Vos Court.
6. Approval of the Plans and Specifications for the Fremont Park Playground and Alvarez Park Playground Rehabilitation projects and authorization to make minor modifications and to advertise for bids.
7. Acceptance of a donation in the amount of $17,153.24 from Mr. and Mrs. Langlois (Langlois 1992 Unitrust) to help support the Case Management Program at the Senior Center and authorization to transmit a letter of appreciation.
8. Approval of the revised Job Description for Fire Chief.
9. Approval of the use of City Electric forces for the installation of facilities at various locations.
10. Acceptance of the December 31, 2003 Financial Status reports.
11. Acceptance of a donation in the amount of $100 from Richard and Cherie Rieger to help support the Senior Center Case Management Program and authorization to transmit a letter of appreciation.
12. Approval of the use of City Water forces for the installation of facilities at various locations.
13. Approval to allow Police Officer Dennis Grilli to accrue over the maximum vacation hours without penalty.
14. Set the following dates as Special Orders of Business for 2004/05 budget review and approval:
May 4 - Review of the Five Year Financial Plan
May 11 - Review of more critical Capital Improvement Projects
May 18 - Capital Improvement Project Budget Study Session
May 25 - Operating Budget Study Session
June 8 - Public Hearing for the 2004/05 Annual Budget, including the Redevelopment Agency, Sports and Open Space Authority, Community Development Block Grant, Federal Home Program and Municipal Fee Schedule.
15. Final adoption of Ordinance No. 1788 which amends Chapter 2.130 of the City Code and regulates political campaign contributions and expenditures.
16. Authorization to send out the year 2004 annual benefit assessments for the Downtown Santa Clara Business Improvement District (BID) at the same rate as year 2003.
1. Approval of Amendment No. 1 to the Agreement with Hill Associates for Reaches 1 and 2 of the San Tomas Aquino Creek Trail for a not to exceed cost of $76,100.
2. Approval of the Confidential Settlement Agreement and General Release with Navigant Consulting, Inc. regarding the Fiber Optic Backbone Project.
3. Approval to execute Call No. 04-1 with Cintara Corporation in an amount not to exceed $321,809 to support the electric utility's short-term marketing and communications needs.
4. Approval of an Easement Agreement with Pacific Gas & Electric Company for the granting of an easement on City owned land for the construction, use and maintenance of one tubular steel pole, wires, cables and other appurtenances for use in conjunction with the Northern Receiving Station Transmission Reinforcement Project (APN 104-06-040 / S.C. 17,982).
1. Joint Venture's 2004 Index of Silicon Valley.
1. Parks and Recreation Commission - January 20, 2004.
2. International Exchange Commission - January 6, 2004.
3. Citizens Advisory Committee - November 2003.
4. Citizens Advisory Committee - December 15, 2003.
5. Patriot Act Ad Hoc Committee - January 12, 2004.
6. Board of Library Trustees - January 5, 2004
1. Russell's Furniture: Request for approval of a Special Permit to conduct parking lot sales at 2645 El Camino Real from May 27-31 and September 2-6, 2004. Staff Recommendation: Approval subject to conditions.
2. Edwin Cortes, RPM Auto Exchange: Request for approval of a Special Permit to allow for outdoor display and sales of vehicles and to use the residential structure at 1491 Jefferson Street as an office for a period of one year to expire on February 1, 2005 (PLN2004-04124). Staff Recommendation: Approval subject to conditions.
[Planning Commission items not being appealed, or which are not related to an appeal, will be heard under BOARDS AND COMMISSIONS FOR ACTION.] If you challenge a City Council land use decision in court, you may be limited to raising only those issues you or someone else raised at this hearing before the City Council or in written correspondence delivered to the City at, or prior to, the City Council hearing on the matter. (California Government Code Section 65009)
A. Salvation Army and Stevens Creek Buick: Request for approval of a Special Permit to allow the use of the parking lot at 3090 Homestead Road as a temporary storage area for Stevens Creek Buick for six months to expire on August 1, 2004 (PLN2003-03664). Staff Recommendation: Approval subject to conditions.
This portion of the meeting is reserved for persons desiring to address the Council on any matter not on the agenda. The law does not permit Council action on, or extended discussion of, any item not on the agenda except under special circumstances. The Council, or its staff, may briefly respond to statements made or questions posed and may request the City Manager to report back at a subsequent meeting. Please submit to the City Clerk your name and subject matter on forms available by the door in the Council Chambers.
A. Approval to transfer $160,000 from the Redevelopment Agency Unallocated Bond Proceeds to the Redevelopment Agency Agnews Cemetery Project to cover the expenses incurred for the construction of the foundation for the historic building donated by Sun Microsystems for placement on the Agnews Historic Cemetery site.
14. BILLS AND CLAIMS/PROGRESS PAYMENTS: (Lists are available in the Council Office and the City Clerk's Office.)
A. Approval of Bills and Claims and Progress Payments.
A. Set February 24, 2004 at 5:00 p.m. for a Closed Session in the Council Conference Room pursuant to Government Code Section 54957.6, Conference with Agency Labor Negotiator, City Negotiator: Jennifer Sparacino, City Manager (or her designee), Employee Organization(s): Unit #1 – Santa Clara Firefighters Association, IAFF, Local 1171;
A. To Tuesday evening, February 24, 2004, at 7:00 p.m. in the City Hall Council Chambers for the regular scheduled meeting. [No meeting scheduled for February 17, 2004]